Professional Responsibility | Ethics
At Scalise & Hamilton P.C., our practice focuses on the representation of professionals (lawyers, law firms, judges, and accountants) in cases involving:
- Professional Responsibility
We also provide proactive advice as to ethics and professional responsibility issues in:
- Conflicts of interest and waivers
- Escrow account and record keeping practices
- Fee dispute arbitration
- Review of law firm websites and advertising
- Scope of representation and retainers
Meet The Team
Deborah A. Scalise, Esq.
Deborah A. Scalise is a principal of SCALISE & HAMILTON, P.C. in Scarsdale, New York, and a founding member of its predecessor Scalise & Hamilton LLP. The firm continues to focus its practice on the representation of lawyers and judges in professional responsibility and ethics matters. Before entering private practice, Ms. Scalise was Deputy Attorney General in Charge of Public Advocacy for the Westchester Region.
Sarah Jo Hamilton was a founding partner in the firm SCALISE & HAMILTON LLP in Scarsdale, New York from 2007 until 2019. She is currently of counsel to SCALISE & HAMILTON, P.C. The firm, continues to focus its practice on the representation of professionals (lawyers, law firms, judges, and accountants) in professional responsibility and ethics matters.
Lisa M. Bluestein is of counsel to SCALISE & HAMILTON P.C. She also serves as a volunteer arbitrator for the Attorney-Client Dispute Resolution Program for the Ninth Judicial District and served as a volunteer for the New York City Bar Association’s City Bar Justice Center’s Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project.
- In 2019, the Scalise & Hamilton LLC dissolved and Scalise & Hamilton P.C. was formed.
- in January 2019, Deborah A. Scalise received the New York State Bar Association’s Ruth G. Shapiro Memorial Award for noteworthy contribution to the concerns of women through pro bono services, writing, service to bar associations or community organizations.
- In April 2018, Sarah Jo Hamilton received the Distinguished Attorney Member Award, from the The Women’s Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan Counties, which honors an outstanding attorney who has achieved professional excellence by distinguishing herself through service to the group and the community, and has provided leadership in the community.
- Both Deborah Scalise and Sarah Jo Hamilton have repeatedly been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for Ethics & Professional Responsibility Law (published in Westchester Magazine).
- In October 2018, the Legal Services of the Hudson Valley recognized Deborah Scalise during National Pro Bono Week for her legal counsel and mentorship in the area of ethics and professionalism to the organization.
- Scalise & Hamilton LLP has been named in the Top 100 Woman Law Firms and in the Largest Women-Owned Law Firms in New York State by the NY Law Journal.
- Deborah Scalise and Sarah Jo Hamilton were honored by the NYC Bar Association Lawyer Assistance Program for their continued support and contributions.
- Deborah A. Scalise was named one of the Top 50 Women in the New York Metro Section of Super Lawyers for two years in a row, which was also published in the New York Times.
- In March 2015, Sarah Jo Hamilton was appointed to the Commission on Statewide Attorney Discipline.
- June 2014, Deborah A. Scalise was re-appointed as Chair of the Continuing Legal Education Committee of the New York State Bar Association.
- In June 2014, Scalise & Hamilton LLP received the Westchester Women’s Bar Association’s Family Friendly Award and was named in the Top 100 Largest Women-Owned Law Firms in New York State by the New York Law Journal.
- In 2014, Sarah Jo Hamilton was appointed as the Director of the NYCLA Ethics Institute.
- Appellate Division, First, Second, Third Departments
- New York State Bar Association
- Columbian Lawyers Association of Brooklyn
- Practicing Law Institute
- Women’s Bar Association State of New York
- Westchester Women’s Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- White Plains Bar Association
- New Rochelle Bar Association
- Mt. Vernon Bar Association
- Eastchester Bar Association
- Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association
- Rockland County Women’s Bar Association
- Schenectady County Bar Association
- Hudson Valley Legal Services
- Pace University Law School CLE Program
- St. John’s University Law School CLE Program
- Fordham Law School CLE Program
- CUNY Law School CLE Program
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State City Court Judges Association
- New York State Judicial Institute
- New York City Bar Association
- New York Civil and Criminal Trial Attorneys Association
- New York State Association of Disciplinary Attorneys
- New York County Supreme Court Arbitrators
- New York State Supreme Court Judges Association
- “Changes to State CLE Requirements Now Include Diversity, Inclusion and Elimination of Bias”, New York Law Journal March 23, 2018. Hon. Betty Weinberg Ellerin, Deborah A. Scalise and Gina Bucciero, Co-authors.
- “The Dementia Crisis” written by Robert Abrams, Esq., Editor, New York State Bar Journal, January 2017. Deborah A. Scalise, Contributing author.
- “Ethically Dealing with Clients, Witnesses and Attorneys with Diminished Capacity” which were annexed to the 2015 New York State OCA State Commission on Professional Discipline’s Report that issued recommendations as to the unification of the New York State disciplinary process. By Deborah A. Scalise.
- NYSBA Attorney Professionalism Forum, The Forum, by Deborah A. Scalise, Esq. NY State Bar Association Journal, January 2010, Vol. 82, No. 1. Reprinted by permission of the NYS Bar Association (more…)
- The New York Rules of Professional Conduct: Opinions, Commentary, and Case Law. Oxford University Press, 2010. Chapter contributions by Deborah A Scalise and Sarah Jo Hamilton.
- “File Maintenance and Record Retention Does Not Have to Be A Nightmare” Deborah A. Scalise, Esq. and Christine Cho, co-authors. Westchester Bar Journal, Spring/Summer 2008 (more…)
- “Questions of Character, Deborah A. Scalise. Student Lawyer, Volume 33, Number 6, February 2005 by the American Bar Association, by Donna Gerson.
- “Dealing Ethically with Untruthful Clients and Witnesses Bill of Particulars Bill of Particulars, Spring 2004, a publication of the New York State Trial Lawyers Institute, by Deborah A. Scalise.
Address & Phone
- Scalise & Hamilton P.C.
- (914) 725-2801
- 111 Brook Street, Suite 202, Scarsdale, NY 10583
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.